My experience with baking prior to this shortbread was limited to pound cakes. And why not…pound cakes are so easy to make and remember – every ingredient except baking powder and vanilla extract (yes I remember) is measured to a pound – baked at 350* for about 35-40 minutes and voila a pound cake is ready!!! and its a different story that by the time you are done eating the pound cake — you are sure to put on a few pounds 😉 – unless ofcourse you have a big heart and prefer to share.
Now back to the Shortbread. The simple and handy list of ingredients and a couple of steps in the making motivated me to try this and boy was I glad I made the move. 😀
Recipe soure : Marcy Goldman’s Book (A passion for baking)
This is what you need …
– 1 cup unsalted butter – softened
– 2/3 cup sugar
– 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
– a pinch of salt
– 3-4 ounces of chopped chocolate of your choice. ( the original calls for Toblerone. I chose coffee based chocolate..and I think you should too choose a chocolate of your choice!)
…and this is how you make
– Preheat oven to 325*
– In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar until blended smooth.
– Add flour and salt and make a stiff dough.
– Generously spray a 10-inch springform pan with non stick cooking spray or a rectangular pan. use parchment paper if you’d like to.
– Pat dough on the pan evenly and bake for 25-30 mins until lightly golden.
– Sprinkle chopped chocolate on hot uncut shortbread and smear evenly all around.
– Cut into small squares,rectangles, triangles or any shape you want… leave them in the fridge to set up or enjoy them just when they cool down and are ready to eat!
A crispy, chocolatey and tasty treat – for a tasty life.